Thursday, March 11, 2010

Silly: Ruh-Roh, Scooby

I've done the unthinkable.

Yesterday, I became friends with my boss on Facebook. (Hi Blair, if you're reading.)

I've actually seen articles in credible periodicals debating whether or not this is a good idea. First of all, that Facebook is taking up valuable article space in different newspapers and magazines is so laughable to me I can't imagine how the guy who invented it feels. He is laughing all the way to the bank, to be sure. Secondly, the whole reason to "not be friends with the boss" boils down to the potential that the boss may see pictures of their employee doing something they shouldn't be doing.

This leads me to my rant, which sounds scarily like the lectures my mom and dad gave me growing up but that's neither here nor there.

The bottom line is that if you're doing things that your boss shouldn't see, you shouldn't be stupid enough to post pictures of that behavior on Facebook. It goes back to what my mom would say when I'd ask to stay out later than my midnight curfew. "Nothing good happens after midnight," she'd say. You know what? She was right. Nothing good ever DID happen after midnight.

There was a time in my life that I was participating in behavior that I wouldn't want my boss (parents, "responsible" friends, etc) to see pictures of. I'm so glad that's not true anymore. I have friends who are still living lifestyles that they probably don't want the boss to know about. I'm too tired to maintain all those personalities anymore, and not just because I'm 30 weeks pregnant.

So anyway, I'm pretty secure in what "the boss" will see if he decides to snoop around my Facebook profile. (whew!) Can you say the same?

1 comment:

sophiechan said...

it's not just about posting what you would feel comfortable having your boss or coworkers come across, but also WHEN you are doing your posting/updating. If you are friends with your boss AND you post during working hours: beware. As someone who works in HR, I can tell you that providing evidence that you are not working during work is a bad idea. (hi allyson -- miss you!)

Post a Comment